November 8, 2008

Okay, so I have been gone for ages.  To answer Bri’s question: My contact lens did come out.  After 4 days.  In the middle of the night.  Which I would like to say was entirely anticlimactic.  I was hoping for a more exciting moment than sleep, but was relieved nonetheless.

Things are a-brewing in our household.  One of the reasons I haven’t been blogging is because we have been going through some big changes that are just not internet-posting ready yet.  (And no, we are not having a baby at this juncture).  I promise I will keep you all posted as soon as it becomes possible for me to do so.

In other news, I am still bike commuting and loving it.  It seems that I get introduced to one element at a time.  First was the darkness, then a few days of cold-ish, then some windy days, then some rain, then some frost, and then some snow.

This week the weather was fabulous and warm and with daylight savings, I even get to do half my ride in the daylight!  On Thursday I saw a huge white-tailed buck which was really amazing.  It’s much easier to sneak up on the wildlife on a bike than in a car.

I switched over a few weeks ago from my tri bike to a dedicated commuter bike formerly known as GB’s mountain bike.  It’s a single speed although I decided not to go for fixed gearing.  It took a few tries to get the gearing right so that I could get up the big hills and not spin too much on the flats.  I have it dialed now although being on a bigger bike with single-speed gearing adds about 10 minutes each way to my ride.  Now that I ride to work I wonder how I managed to stay sane when I used to drive.  I swear I need that full hour every morning and afternoon to get the headspace I need.

GB is doing well in school and continues to be a total nerd.  I don’t know whether to be awed or disgusted.  I have never witnessed such a work ethic!  Mostly I’m just jealous because I would love to go back to school myself.

Finn got porcupined again last week.  I swear that dog learns about as fast as I do.  Anyway, I am once again grateful for doggie health insurance and grateful that he didn’t get any quills in his eyes.  I did not witness the event, but when my dog returns to me with quills in his mouth and tongue, I have to ask “what exactly were you THINKING?!?!?”.  He just wags his tail in response to that question.

I will update on the big events in our lives when things are certain (probably two more weeks at least).  In the meantime, we know we are moving because our rent has been raised, so I can regale you all with tales of packing up our stuff and finding a new place to move it to.  How exciting.


2 Responses to “Stuff”

  1. Beth Says:

    Yeah!!! You are still alive!! 🙂 Great to hear you are doing well…and looking forward to your announcement in the coming weeks! Give Finn a pet for me…poor dog, quills can’t be any fun. 🙂

  2. Danielle Says:

    Glad you are back. I am psyched about your commuting. Poor Finn…but why do I get the feeling that he might actually enjoy the encounters with the porkies?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: